The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for implementation of an umbrella scheme for integrated development and management of fisheries, for a period of five years. The scheme provides for suitable linkages and convergence with the "Sagarmala Project" of the Ministry of Shipping, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNAREGA), Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY), National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) etc.
development and management of inland fisheries, aquaculture, marine fisheries including deep sea fishing, mariculture and all activities undertaken by the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) towards realizing “Blue Revolution”.
(a) National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) and its activities,
(b) Development of Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture,
(c) Development of Marine Fisheries, Infrastructure and Post Harvest Operations,
(d) Strengthening of Database & Geographical Information System of the Fisheries Sector,
(e) Institutional Arrangement for Fisheries Sector and
(f) Monitoring, Control and Surveillance (MCS) and other need-based Interventions
focused and integrated approach for development and management of fisheries and aquaculture sector to ensure a sustained annual growth rate of 6% - 8% as against an overall annual growth rate of about 4% during the 11th Five Year Plan period.
1. increasing production and productivity from aquaculture and fisheries resources, both inland and marine.
2. to utilise most of the unutilised fisheries resources keeping in view the overall sustainability, bio-security and environmental concerns.
3. to encourage economically weaker sections such as Scheduled Castes(SCs), Scheduled Tribes(STs), Women and their co-operatives to take up fishing and fisheries related activities.
4. encourage increasing private investment, entrepreneurship development, more Public Private Partnership (PPP) and better leveraging of institutional finance.
5. skill development and capacity building in fisheries and allied activities; and creation of post-harvest and cold chain infrastructure facilities.
fish farmers, fisheries entrepreneurs, fish retailers, wholesalers, fish processors, fish exports and women groups
Implemented in all the States including North Eastern States and Union Territories.