On 12 May 2016 President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the Florence Nightingale Awards to 35 nurses
It was done on the occasion of International Nurses Day at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
The day is celebrated worldwide on May 12 every year to commemorate the birth day of Florence Nightingale and to mark the nurses’ contributions towards public health.
• These awards are given to the outstanding nursing personnel employed in Union, State/Union Territories.
• The awards carry 50000 rupees cash prize, a certificate, a citation certificate and a Medal.
• Dorothy Sutherland in the year 1953 first proposed this very idea
• It was first celebrated by the International Council of Nurses (ICN) in the year 1965.
• May 12 was declared to be celebrated as the birthday anniversary of the founder of modern nursing, Florence Nightingale in January in 1974.