India’s energy policy: Key findings of the IEA’s In-Depth Review 2020
• On January 10,2020 the International Energy Agency (IEA) in partnership with NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog has released the first in-depth review of India’s energy policies 2020.
• The IEA conducts review on energy policies of its member countries.
• This is the 1st time the review is done for India after it became an IEA-association country in March 2017.
• Renewable energy growth: India has strong growth in renewables in India accounting for almost 23% of the country’s total installed capacity.
• Doubling of energy demand: India’s energy demand is expected to be doubled by 2040 and also the electricity demand may triple.
• Share of variable renewables: The share of variable renewables in India is already above 15%.
• Reduction in energy demand: The improvements made in energy efficiency helped India to avoid 15% of additional energy demand, oil and gas imports, and air pollution as well as 300 million tonnes of CO2 (carbon dioxide) emissions between 2000 and 2018.
State Energy Efficiency Index 2019: Haryana, Karnataka and Kerala Tops
• The State Energy Efficiency Index 2019 was released on 10 January 2020 in New Delhi by RK Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power and New & Renewable Energy and Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship.
• The Index has been developed by Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE) under the leadership and guidance of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) to access the efforts and achievements of states and union territories towards energy efficiency implementation.
• The top performing states for State EE Index 2019, Haryana, Kerala and Karnataka
Basic Features of the Index
• The first such Index named the State Energy Efficiency Preparedness Index, was launched on 01 August 2018.
• The State EE Index 2019 draws on the previous index and has enhanced the indicator framework, with this year’s Index based on 97 indicators.
• 36 states and union territories have been assessed in State EE Index 2019.
• The State EE Index 2019 has categorized states in 4 groups namely ‘FrontRunner’, ‘Achiever’, ‘Contender’ and ‘Aspirant’ based on their efforts and achievements towards energy efficiency implementation.
• Also, for a rational comparison, the States and Union Territories were grouped into four groups based on the aggregated Total Primary Energy Supply (TPES) required to meet the state’s actual energy demand across sectors.
Key Findings of the Index
• None of the states were ranked as ‘front runner’ state which means that a lot more can be done at the state level to realise energy savings from energy efficiency.
• Haryana, Kerala and Karnataka topped the index and were the only three states to be ranked in the ‘Achiever’ category.
• Karnataka (Group 1), Haryana (Group 2), Himachal Pradesh (Group 3) and Puducherry (Group 4) led their groups.
• Rajasthan (Group 1), Jharkhand (Group 2), Jammu & Kashmir (Group 3) and Manipur (Group 4) performed the worst in their groups.
Amit Shah inaugurates state-of-the-art portal(14 C) to tackle cyber crimes
• The Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the state-of-the-art Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) in New Delhi on 11 January 2020.
• The minister also dedicated National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal to the nation.
Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C)
• Government had approved the scheme to set up I4C in October 2018 at an estimated cost of around Rs 416 crore to deal with all types of cyber-crimes in a comprehensive and coordinated manner.
• 15 States and UTs have given their consent to set up Regional Cyber Crime Coordination Centres.
National Cyber Crime Reporting Porta
• The National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal (www.cybercrime.gov.in) has been launched as a citizen-centric initiative by Home Ministry to enable citizens report cyber-crimes online.
• All the cyber-crime related complaints will be accessed by the concerned law enforcement agencies in the States and Union Territories for taking action as per law.
• This portal was launched on pilot basis on 30th August, 2019.
• So far, over 700 Police Districts and 3,900 Police Stations have been connected with this portal.
First-of-its-kind ‘CYBER AASHVAST’ and VISWAS projects Inaugurated by HM Amit Shah in Gandhinagar
• The Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated various people centric projects at Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar on 11 January 2020.
• Some of the major projects inaugurated includes:
o Video Integration and State Wide Advanced Security (VISWAS)
• VISWAS is a first of its kind project in the country launched for major e-governance initiative.
• It aims at improving Law and Order Management, Proactive traffic management and control, Crime detection through video analytics and Post incident Investigation and video forensics.
o Cyber Crime Prevention Unit-AASHVAST
• Cyber AASHVAST Project is a first of its kind unit launched by Gujarat Police to make cyber-space safe for common man through a dedicated helpline service for victims of cyber crimes to provide cyber-security solution.
Paperless licensing process for petroleum road tankers launched by DPIIT
• On January 10,2020 Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, has launched paperless licensing process through Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization (PESO) for road tankers for transportation of petroleum under the Petroleum Rules,2002.
• This is a significant move towards paperless and green India that provides ease of doing business for petroleum road tankers.
• Moving towards digitalisation the process will include filing the applications through online processing of the application at every stage will be intimated via e-mail (electronic mail) and SMS (Short Message Service) whether discrepancy or approval or grant of license.
• This initiative directly benefits more than one lakh petroleum road tanker owners who together hold more than half of total licenses issued under the Petroleum Rules,2002.
• The authenticity of the license can be verified through public domain available on PESO’s website.
• About Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization (PESO):
It is headed by Chief Controller of Explosives.
Founded- 9 September 1898.
Joint Chief Controller of Explosives, HOD(HEAD OF DEPARTMENT)- M.K.Jhala.
Asia's largest Civil Aviation platform- 'Wings India 2020' to be held at Hyderabad from 12-15 March 2020
• Wings India 2020, an international exhibition and conference on civil aviation sector, will be held at Begumpet Airport in Hyderabad, Telangana from March 12-15, 2020.
• The theme of the event is “Flying for all”.
• The biennial event will be inaugurated by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi in presence of Minister for Civil Aviation and Minister of State for Civil Aviation.
• Ministry of Civil Aviation (MCA), Federation Of Indian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry (FICCI), Airports Authority of India (AAI) are the organizers of the event
• The event will provide a fillip to the aviation and restructured focused forums will be instrumental in attaining the objective of connecting the Buyers, Sellers, Investors and other stakeholders at a common forum.
• The maiden edition of “WINGS INDIA AWARDS” for Excellence in the Civil Aviation Sector will be announced during the event. The award will be conferred upon the Aviation-related Companies/Institutions/Organizations.
• About Ministry of Civil Aviation:
Founded- October 21, 2016
Ministry of Civil Aviation- Hardeep Singh Puri
Ministry of State for Civil Aviation- Suresh Prabhu
Director General of Directorate General of Civil Aviation- Arun Kumar
• About FICCI:
Headquarters- New Delhi
President- Sandip Somany
• About AAI:
Founded- April 1, 1995
Headquarters- New Delhi
Chairman- Arvind Singh
• About Telangana:
Chief Minister- K. Chandrashekar Rao
Governor- Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan
State Flower- Senna auriculata
State Tree- Jand
State Animal- Chital
State Bird- Indian roller
NSO’s IIP data : Industrial production grows 1.8% in November 2019
• On January 10, 2020, According to the Index of industrial production (IIP) data released by the National Statistical Office (NSO) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), Growth in manufacturing sector has resulted in 128.4 in November 2019, which is 1.8 % higher as compared to the level 126.1 in the month of November 2018 .
• The result turning positive after 3 consecutive months (August to October 2019) of decline.
• Manufacturing sector : As per the data, the manufacturing sector (13 of the 23 industry groups in the manufacturing category ) grew by 2.7 % in November 2019, compared to a decline of 0.7 % in the same month in 2018.
• Electricity generation: While there was a 5.1 % increase in power generation in November 2018, it declined by 5 % in November 2019.
• Mining sector: Mining sector production was down 1.7 % as compared to a decline of 2.7 % in the reporting period.
‘Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme’ to financially help mothers educate their children : Andhra Pradesh
• On 9th January 2020, the state government of Andhra Pradesh under Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched first-of-its-kind scheme for mothers in India named Jagananna Amma Vodi scheme.
• The ‘Amma Vodi’ scheme is AP government’s flagship programme to support mothers (or recognized guardian in the absence of mother), who is below poverty line household, irrespective of caste, creed, religion and region to enable her to educate her child/children from Class I to XII from the Academic year 2019-2020.
• The government has allocated Rs 6455.80 crore budget in the fiscal year 2019-20 for the scheme.
• The minister released Rs 6,318 crore on January 9 for the scheme under which Rs 15,000 each was credited into the accounts of around 43 lakh mothers as an annual financial assistance for the benefit of 82 lakh children in the state this year.
• For further details visit: http://jaganannaammavodi.ap.gov.in
Click here to see the Beneficiaries of AMMAVODI SCHEME
Yashaswini Scheme for Women entrepreneurship launched in Goa.
• Union Minister for Women and Child Development and Textiles, Smriti Irani launched Yashaswini Scheme for Women entrepreneurship in Goa on 11 January 2020 at Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Stadium at Taleigao near Panaji.
• Under Yashaswini scheme, women self-help groups will get interest free loans of upto Rs 5 lakh for business.
• To begin with, Adarsha Satari Mahila Mandal Guleli -Sattari, Umang Self-Help Group, Salcete, Phoenix Womens Wing Self-Help Group Valpoi -Sattari were given loans under newly launched Yashaswini scheme.
INS Vikramaditya deployed amid China-Pak Navy drill
• China and Pakistan are conducting their nine-day mega naval exercise ‘Sea Guardians’ in the North Arabian Sea from 06 January 2020 to increase inter-operability and strategic cooperation between their two navies.
• On the other hand, India Navy too deployed its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in the Arabian Sea, to send a clear strategic signal to them about its operational readiness and combat capability in the maritime domain.
• Top officials of the Naval headquarters are personally keeping close watch on the ‘Sea Guardians’ from the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya deploying MiG29K fighters on board.
BANKING AND ECONOMICS
HDFC completes acquisition of controlling majority stake (51.16%) in Apollo Munich.
• The mortgage lender Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) has announced the completion of the acquisition of majority stake (51.16%) in Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company for Rs. 1,495.81 crore.
• The acquisition was approved by the Competition Commission of India (CCI), the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), and the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRADI) by 01 January 2020.
• Controlling Stake: HDFC has acquired 50.80% share of Apollo Hospital Group in Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company (Apollo Munich) for Rs 1485.14 crore.
o It has also acquired 0.36% shareholding held by few employees for Rs 10.67 crore.
• Name of new Entity: Subsequently, the Apollo Munich has been renamed as HDFC ERGO Health Insurance and will operate as a subsidiary of HDFC.
• MD and CEO: Anuj Tyagi, Executive Director and Chief Business Officer at HDFC ERGO Health Insurance has been appointed as the new MD and CEO of the new entity HDFC ERGO Health Insurance. However, the appointment is subject to approval of IRDAI.
• Future plans: HDFC will merge HDFC ERGO General with ERGO Health and will soon apply to seek approval for the same to the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT.
o Post merger, the merged entity will be the second largest private insurer in accident and health segment in the country”.
National Strategy for Financial Inclusion (NSFI)2019-2024 released by RBI.
• Shri M K Jain, Deputy Governor, RBI released the National Strategy for Financial Inclusion (NSFI): 2019-2024 at the High Level Meeting on Financial Inclusion for the North East region convened at Agartala on January 10, 2020.
• The NSFI sets forth the vision and key objectives of the Financial Inclusion policies in India to expand the reach and sustain the efforts through a broad convergence of action involving all the stakeholders in the financial sector.
• NSFI enlists 6 visions:
o Universal Access to Financial Services
o Providing Basic Bouquet of Financial Services
o Access to Livelihood and Skill Development
o Financial Literacy and Education
o Customer Protection and Grievance Redressal
o Effective Co-ordination
• The document highlights the major issues that act as impediments to financial inclusion and comes up with a set of recommendations and action plans to support sustainable financial inclusion over the next 5 years.
RBI now allows e-mandate on UPI.
• Reserve Bank of India has allowed the Processing of e-mandate for recurring transactions for UPI transactions.
• The maximum permissible limit for a transaction under this arrangement shall be ₹ 2,000/-.
• No charges shall be levied or recovered from the UPI User for availing the e-mandate facility on UPI for recurring transactions.
14. Govt raises authorised capital of Indian Overseas Bank to Rs 25,000 crore
• On January 10, 2020 the central govt in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)has announced an increase in the authorized capital of Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) to Rs 25,000 crores from the previous authorized capital of Rs. 15,000 crores, thus making an increase by Rs. 10,000 crores.
• Authorised capital: It is the maximum amount of share capital a company/bank/institution is authorised to issue its shareholders.
• Paid-up capital: It is the amount of money a company has received from shareholders in exchange for shares of stock.
• About Indian Overseas Bank(IOB):
Chief Executive Officer(CEO)- Shri Karnam Sekar.
Headquarters- Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Founder- Chidambaram Chettyar.
Founded- 10 February 1937.
Tagline- Good people to grow with.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Merck announces Young Scientist Award winners in India
• On January 9, 2020 Merck Young Scientist Awards 2019 in chemical science, instituted by Merck was announced in Bengaluru in Karnataka.
• Indian Scientist Dr Sakya Singha Sen and his team won the Merck Young Scientist Award 2019.
• The award is given to the given to researchers with less than ten years of experience with expertise in solving some of the toughest problems in chemical sciences.
• The winners will receive a cash award of Rs 2,00,000 and Travel Award of Rs 1,50,000 each
7th National Ice Hockey Championship : Ladakh wins women trophy
• Ladakh women team has won the 7th National Ice Hockey Championship women trophy. In the final match, Ladakh scoring 2 goals against Delhi and won the tournament.
• The tournament was organised by the Ice Hockey Association of India (IHAI) in association with the Ladakh winter sports club.
• 4 women teams representing Chandigarh, Delhi, Maharashtra, and Ladakh participated in the tournament.
• President of Ice Hockey Association of India: K. L. Kumar.
Rani Rampal nominated for 'World Games Athlete of the Year'
• On January 10,2020 Rani Rampal from Haryana,India the captain of the Indian women’s hockey team has been nominated for the “World Games Athlete of the Year”award, 2019 by the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
• Rani was instrumental in India qualifying for the first time in back-to-back olympic games.
• World Games Athlete of the Year award is an initiative of IWGA(International World Games Association) that recognizes and honours an athlete or a team for their outstanding performance or for their social commitment or particularly, fair behavior.
• 2019 will be the 6th edition of the IWGA.
• Twenty-five athletes have been nominated for this award from their respective sports by their international federations.
• The winner will be decided by online voting which closes on January 30.
• Rani helped India qualify for the Tokyo Olympics 2020.
• About International Hockey Federation:
President- Narinder Batra.
CEO(Chief Executive Officer)- Thierry Weil.
APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
Scientist Dr.Saha elected as IUPAC bureau member
• On January 10,2020 Dr.Bipul Bihari Saha of Hyderabad, India has been elected as a bureau member of the IUPAC(International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) for the period 2020-23.
• Saha is the only second Indian after “Bharat Ratna” Professor Chintamani Nagesa Ramachandra Rao (CNR Rao),to be elected(1979) for this position in a century.
• IUPAC is the largest global organization of Chemistry professionals and comprises of 12 Committees and 8 Divisions.
• The Bureau Member are elected considering his/her scientific contribution in the field of Chemistry,his leadership qualities etc.,
• Saha is a Chief Director of R&D (Research and Development) L.R Research Laboratories is a wholly owned subsidiary of NACL(Nagarjuna Agrichem Limited) Industries Limited, Hyderabad.
• Saha has been closely associated with the IUPAC as the Executive Committee Member of “IUPAC Committee on Chemistry and Industry”(First Indian to hold this position),National Representative of India in “IUPAC Division of Chemistry and Environment” and member of “IUPAC Inter-Divisional Committee on Green Chemistry for Sustainable Development”.
• Saha was also a Principal Investigator and member of the steering Committee of Government of India sponsored “New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative Project”.
• Dr.Saha has been awarded Homi Bhabha Gold Medal by Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
• About IUPAC(International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry):
IUPAC has the responsibility of naming all new elements and compounds,declare atomic weights and physical constants, update Periodic Table and carry out research Projects.
Headquarters- Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States.
Motto- Advancing Chemistry Worldwide.
President- Professor Qi-Feng Zhou (China).
National Book Trust appointed Lt Col Yuvraj Malik as director.
• On January 11, 2020 Lt Col Yuvraj Malik was appointed as the director of National Book Trust (NBT) on deputation. Malik succeeds Sahitya Akademi-awardee writer Rita Chowdhury.
• Previously Malik has served with the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA), Raj Bhawan in Jammu & Kashmir(J&K), United Nations Missions in Africa and also in several operational assignments.
• About National Book Trust(NBT):
Founded- 1 August 1957.
Headquarters- New Delhi.
Parent Organisation- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
Chairman- Govind Prasad Sharma.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
LCA Tejas' lands on Indian Navy's aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya for the first time.
• On January 11,2020 the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas has made a successful landed on the India’s biggest warship INS Vikramaditya.
• The maiden landing was conducted by Commodore Jaideep Maolankar.
• For the first time an indigenous fighter aircraft has been landed on an aircraft carrier.
• India becomes sixth nation to master the art of an arrested landing and ski-jump take off on the deck of a carrier after Russia, the United States (US), France, the United Kingdom (UK)and China.
• LCA was developed by Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) long with Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
• About LCA Tejas:
Tejas is India’s Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) together with its variants, is the smallest and lightest Multi-Role Supersonic Fighter Aircraft of its class.
• This single engine, Compound-Delta-Wing, Tailless Aircraft is designed and developed by ADA with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as the principal partner along with DRDO, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) , Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Directorate General Of Aeronautical Quality Assurance (DGAQA) to meet the needs of the Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Navy (IN).
• About DRDO:
Headquarters- New Delhi
Chairman- Dr. G Satheesh Reddy
• About HAL:
Chairman- R Madhavan
• About CSIR:
Founded- September 26, 1942
President- Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi
• About BEL:
Qaboos bin Said, Oman’s Longest Serving Sultan, passes Away at 79.
• The Sultan of Oman, Qaboos bin Said, has passed away at the age of 79 due to health issues.
• He was the longest serving Arab leader who ruled the Gulf Arab state for 50 years since overtaking in 1970.
• Meanwhile, Oman’s culture minister, Haitham bin Tariq Al Said, has been named as the Arab country’s new ruling sultan.
Kannada Scholar M Chidananda Murthy passes away at 88.
Veteran broadcaster, academic-poet Obaid Siddiqui passes away at 63.
Canadian rock group drummer Neil Peart passed away at 67 years.
SUMMITS AND MOU’S
ASCEND 2020 : Global Investor Meet held in Kochi, Kerala
• A two day organised Global Investors Meet ASCEND 2020 was held in Kochi, Kerala at Lulu Bolgatty International Convention Centre, Grand Hyatt, from January 9-10.
• The meet was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Kerala Shri Pinarayi Vijayan and was organised by states Department of Industries.
• Totally Rs 1 lakh crore worth investment proposals were received.
• The key highlights of the meet are as follows:
o Proposed mega projects: Mega projects are those that has more than Rs 100 crore investment. A total of 18 mega projects were announced by the state govt. Some of them include setting up of Propylene Oxide plant, Electronic hardware park, Rs.131 crore defence park, Rs. 1,864-crore KINFRA (Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation)-initiated Petrochemical Park, Rs. 900-crore Super Absorbent Polymer Plant etc.
o Pact by KIFML & ADIA: Kerala infrastructure Fund Management Ltd.(KIFML) and Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) have signed 1 projected but have designated Rs 8110 crore for six projects.
o Wage subsidy scheme: Apart from announcing mega projects, a wage subsidy scheme was also introduced. Wage subsidy will be provided for the first 5 years for new ventures getting registered on April 1, 2020.The benefit will only be available to those units that provides ESI (Employee State Insurance) and PF (Provident Fund) benefits to workers
January 2020 Important Days
Date Name of important Days
1 January Global Family Day
8 January African National Congress Foundation Day
9 January NRI (Non-Resident Indian) Day or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
11 January Death anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri
12 January National Youth Day
15 January Indian Army Day
23 January Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti
24 January National Girl Child Day
25 January National Voters Day
25 January National Tourism Day
26 January Republic Day
26 January International Customs Day
28 January Birth Anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai
30 January Martyrs Day or Shaheed Diwas
30 January World Leprosy Eradication Day
1 January – Global Family Day
It is celebrated as a day of peace and sharing. Its aim is to unite and spread message of peace by considering and promoting an idea that Earth is a one Global Family so as to make world a better place to live for everyone.
8 January - African National Congress Foundation Day
South African Native National Congress (SANNC) was founded in 8 January 1912 by John Langalibalele Dube in Bloemfontein. Behind this the primary motive was to give voting rights to black and mixed race Africans or to unite African people and spearhead the struggle for fundamental political, social and economic change.
9 January – NRI (Non-Resident Indian) Day or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
NRI or Pravasi Bharatiya Divas observed every year on 9 January to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community towards the development of India. This day also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to Mumbai on 9 January, 1915.
10 January : World Hindi Day
The World Hindi Day is celebrated every year on 10 January since 2006 to create awareness for the promotion of Hindi in the world, to introduce Hindi as an international language among other things.Former Prime Minister of India Shri Manmohan Singh declared World Hindi Day to be observed on 10 January in the year 2006.Since then, the day is observed by Ministry of External Affairs and Indian Embassies abroad.
11 January – Death anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri
He was the second Prime Minsiter of Independent India. He popularised the slogan 'Jai Jawan Jai Kisan' He actively participated in the India's freedom struggle. Due to cardiac arrest he died on 11 January, 1966.
12 January – National Youth Day
The birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda also called Swami Vivekananda Jayanti is celebrated every year on 12 January. He was born on 12 January, 1863. The government had decided to observe it as National Youth Day because the philosophy of Swamiji and the ideals for which he lived and worked could be a great source of inspiration for the Indian Youth. He had given speech at the Parliament of the World's religions in Chicago and glorified India's name.
15 January – Indian Army Day
Every year 15 January is observed as Indian Army Day because on this day in 1949 field Marshal Kodandera M Cariappa took over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief.
15 January -- Makara Sankranti
Makara Sankranti or Maghi, is a festival day in the Hindu calendar, dedicated to the deity Surya. It is observed each year in January. It marks the first day of the sun's transit into Makara, marking the end of the month with the winter solstice and the start of longer days.
Observances: Kite flying.
Date: Wednesday, 15 January, 2020
Celebrations: Kite flying, bonfires, fairs, surya puja in river, feast, arts, dance, socialization
Featured in religions: Hinduism
Significance: Harvest festival
Also called: Magha, Môkôr Sôngkrānti, Mela, Maghi, Bhogi
23 January - Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was born on 23 January, 1897 in Cuttack, Orissa. He was one of the most prominent Indian freedom fighter. His army was known as Indian National Army (INA) or Azad Hind Fauj. He also led an Indian national force from abroad against the Western powers during World War II.
24 January- National Girl Child Day
On 24 January every year National Girl Child Day is celebrated to highlight the inequalities faced by a majority of the girls in India, importance of education, nutrition, legal rights, medical care and safety of girl children etc.
25 January- National Voters Day
Every year on 25 January National Voter's Day or Rashtriya Matdata Diwas is celebrated to encourage young voters to take part in the political process. In 2011 first time this day was celebrated to mark Election Commission's Foundation Day.
25 January- National Tourism Day
Every year on 25 January National Tourism Day is celebrated in India to raise the awareness and educate people about the importance of tourism and the role it plays in the Indian economy.
26 January- Republic Day
On 26 November, 1949 Indian Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution the supreme law of the land and replaced the Government of India Act 1935. It came into effect on 26 January 1950 with a democratic government system. This day marks with the largest parade took place at Rajpath, Delhi every year.
26 January – International Customs Day
International Customs Day (ICD) is celebrated every year on 26 January by Custom Organisation to recognise the role of custom officials and agencies in maintaining border security. It also focuses on the working conditions and challenges that custom officers face in their jobs.
28 January- Birth Anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai
Lala Lajpat Rai was born on 28 January, 1865 in Punjab. He was a prominent nationalist leader who played an important role in India’s struggle for freedom. He also earned the title of 'Punjab Kesari' or 'the Lion of the Punjab'. He initiated the foundation of Punjab National Bank. He died on 17 November, 1928, due to serious injuries. The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences in Hisar, Haryana is named after Lala Lajpat Rai.
30 January – Martyrs Day or Shaheed Diwas
30 January is celebrated as Martyr's Day or Shaeed Diwas every year in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi and sacrifice of three revolutionaries of India. As, on 30 January, 1948, the 'Father of Nation' was assassinated. And on 23rd March 3 heroes namely Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru and Sukhdev Thapar of the nation were hanged to death by British.
30 January – World Leprosy Eradication Day
World Leprosy Day is observed on 30 January every year to focus on the target of zero cases of leprosy-related disabilities in children. As, we know that disabilities do not occur overnight but happen after a prolonged period of undiagnosed disease.