The Indian Air Force was officially established on 8 October 1932.Its first ac flight came into being on 01 Apr 1933. It possessed a strength of six RAF-trained officers and 19 Havai Sepoys (literally, air soldiers). Its the World's 4th largest Airforce. Its primary responsibility is to secure Indian airspace and to conduct aerial warfare during a conflict.
Personnels in Air ForceThe rank structure of the Indian Air Force is based on that of the Royal Air Force. The highest rank attainable in the IAF is Marshal of the Indian Air Force, conferred by the President of India after exceptional service during wartime. MIAF Arjan Singh is the only officer to have achieved this rank. The head of the Indian Air Force is the Chief of the Air Staff, who holds the rank of Air Chief Marshal. The current Chief of the Air Staff is Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha with effect from 31 December 2013.
Some Important facts about Indian Air Force
Aircrafts Fighter aircrafts - Su-30MKI, Mirage 2000, MiG-29, HAL Tejas, MiG-21
Helicopters - Dhruv, Chetak, Cheetah, Mi-8, Mi-17, Mi-26, Mi-25/35
1. The IAF got its first woman Air Marshal in the form of Padmavathy Bandopadhyay.
2. IAF has a base in Farkhor, Tajikistan. Its only base outside India.
3.At 22,000 ft (or 6,706 m), Siachen Glacier AFS is the highest Air Force Station of the IAF.
4. The IAF created a world record by performing the highest landing of a C-130J at the Daulat Beg Old airstrip in Ladakh at the height of 16614 feet (5065 meters).
5. IAF’s first HAL-made fighter was HF-24 Marut.
6. The Tejas is the second supersonic Light Combat Aircraft developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
7. Operation Rahat was the biggest civilian rescue operation in the world carried out by any air force using helicopters.
8. The highest achievable rank in the air force is Marshal of the Indian Air Force. Arjan Singh is the only officer who has achieved this rank. Sachin Tendulkar is the first civilian (without any aviation background) who was awarded the honorary rank of Group Captain by IAF.